Webster's Definition:
1 a : a body of nonelective government officials
2
: government characterized by specialization of functions, adherence to fixed rules, and a hierarchy of authority
3
: a system of administration marked by officialism, red tape, and proliferation
a) they made the rules
b) they enforce the rules
c) the rules don't technically exist
I feel very Fight Club all of a sudden. I don't even know what point I'm trying to make. This has just been on my mind and I think when it really comes down to it, money always wins. A presidential election is an obvious example but let me suggest a small, insignificant example that I see every day working in a grocery store. First, let me make myself clear. I am in no way unhappy with my job or do I wish to complain about any of it. I am just observing what is around me.
A grocery bagger makes a terrific suggestion that would benefit the entire store. It could even make less work for a lot of people, save time and money and resources. They tell their idea to a cashier. The cashier brings it up to the Supervisor. The supervisor brings it to the Manager. The manager sends an email to headquarters.
Anywhere along this line of communication the person in the higher position can kill the idea. You might say that the person listening could make an educated decision and then use their authority to decide whether or not this idea is worth passing along. Well what's the difference between a bagger's job and a manager's job? Two fundamental things: Responsibility and Pay. Let me ask an easy question. Why in the world would anybody want to take on more responsibility (stress & fatigue)? You can pretend to be the better guy and say "I enjoy a sense of accomplishment or making a positive difference or the desire to learn new skills." But really there is one true answer to this question.... Money. And the person who makes more money, makes the final call. The person who makes more money is not always a smarter person. They are not always a nicer person. Like the rest of mankind, they are not always right in every decision they make. BUT they have more money, so we let them win. When it comes down to it, the person with less money can not make the bagger's idea happen without the "okay" from the people who have more money.
On a totally unrelated subject, I'll add a picture of the dinner I made because I was so proud of it. AND when I check out other people's blogs I like seeing pictures so here you go. Quinoa Kale Salad. It was super easy and totally yum.
1 comment:
Looks delish....would love the recipe.
Post a Comment