We went on a hike today as part of our anniversary love time together! I looked up the best hikes in Utah County and found a top ten list. We tried out one of the hikes today and it was awesome! But fair warning: without a 4-wheel drive vehicle you might only make it to the Tibble Fork Reservoir, which is also very pretty and canoe accessible.
When we got to the trailhead we ran into some parks employees who had been guarding the trail. What????
Well they had just finished guarding the trail so luckily we were able to go on our hike but before we headed up they explained to us that they had been "working on a special project." Now this is kind of a sad story, but it was also somewhat intriguing to me because I'd never heard a story like this before. So the parks workers have horses that they take up the trail sometimes, I guess it makes it possible for them to get around miles of mountain terrain without wearing themselves out every day. Earlier this week one of their older horses had hiked his/her last trail. The horse actually passed away on the trail, which is also right on the side of a pretty steep mountain. So here's the question, how do you get a deceased thousand pound horse down a rough switchback hiking trail? Apparently, you blast it. Yep, their "special project" was also referred to as "doing some blasting." They told us that it would smell a little and that when we pass the brown spot, that's where it took place! Crazy, huh?! Nonetheless, Jake and I decided to continue with our hike. The smell was bearable but the tiny pieces of horse scattered around.... Yep, super gross. After a day or
two, the bugs, the birds and
the squirrels would have it all taken care of.... A once in a life time experience I tell ya.
ANYWAY, we started up the 2 mile trail around 3:30 and made it to the top just after 5:00.... not bad but I had to stop for a few breathers along the way! The weather was perfect and we had the place all to ourselves! I mean nobody was there! Silver Lake was simply serene and completely gorgeous! The water was a little too cold for us to go swimming, remember, we've been spoiled with Hawaii's perfect tempered water! But the trees, the rocks, the rivers and lake felt so empowering and healing. The air really is better up there!
I would recommend
t
his hike to everyone. I wouldn't judge the difficulty of this hike on a scale up to 10 because to me, a 10
is like a 60 pound pack on your back and blisters all over your feet and maybe a slight case of
po
ison oak. So on a scale of 1-5 where 5 leaves your muscles hurting for a few days and maybe a couple scrapes on your legs, I would leave this hike at a solid 2. Anyone can do it, it just might take a few more hours than you plan.
Trailhead: Travel 7.4 miles east on SR-92 from I-15 (Exit 287) to the fee boo
th at the mouth of American Fork Canyon $6/car. Drive east into the canyon another 4.6 miles. Take the turn-off to the left, SR-144 (North Fork). Drive 2.2 miles up North Fork to Tibble Fork Reservoir. The road continues past the north end of the reservoir then switches back and travels toward the Granite Flats Campground. At this point, be on the look for a horse transfer area. Shortly after the transfer area, there will be a dirt road to the right. Take this road. If you reach the Granite Flats C.G., you have gone too far. Follow the dirt road and the signs directing you to the Silver Lake Flat Reservoir. The road climbs in switchbacks for a couple of miles. Silver Lake Flat Reservoir is 3.8 miles up the dirt road. Continue to the north end of the reservoir to reach the parking area/trailhead for this hike.
3 comments:
I like this post! thanks for the suggestion. and congrats on 3 years!! Crazy how time flies.
Beautiful location...except for the blown up horse bits. Nasty. Dead animal pieces in paradise. Yucko.
soo fun and pretty!
Post a Comment