Florida was such a huge part of our trip that I'm going to have to blog in segments. Before reaching Florida we had driven about 7,000 miles and we added another 1,000 just driving the state of Florida. Jake and I have thought of ourselves as pretty adventurous people by taking this trip across the country, and then we ran into these couchsurfers...
On the left is a couple who is biking the entire perimeter of Florida. In the middle is our host who lives a block from Daytona Beach. Then there's the Canadian who started in Winnipeg and is traveling clockwise around the entire perimeter of the United States!!!! It will take him approximately 7 months at about 60 miles a day. These guys are hard core travelers. Their clothes are salt stained and some nights they sleep on the side of the road in below freezing temperatures. If you've never heard of the website called WarmShowers.Org you should check it out. You could help cyclists on their journeys with some of their travel needs.
This is Jake and his beard driving on Daytona Beach. It was strange to see the beach set up to allow two lanes of traffic flow but I guess it's used just like any other road during the summer months. If you're looking for some solitude, just visit this beach in December. You'll have the place all to yourself.
We saw a sign for the Kennedy Space Center and thought HEY, why not? Then we saw the sign that said $62 a person entry fee and we thought HEY, no way! I'm sure it's a cool place, but I'm also sure I could give myself a better tour for sixty two bucks.
1 comment:
I bet your tour of the Space Center would be more interesting too.
Nice pic of Jake driving on Daytona Beach -- is that the same place they race or is that a racetrack? [I like Jake's profile.]
And your crazy traveling companions on their bikes. At least they look happy when you are all inside!!
What an adventure you are having!
Post a Comment