Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Heaven in a tupperware

Yesterday Jake visited his parents and returned home with THESE! These, these, little morsels of heaven. So delicious, so beautiful, so fresh you could still smell the dirt. There's no denying that all food tastes better when it comes straight from the garden. We've known this for a long time. Yet I still find myself making special trips to the Dollar Store to pickup a bag of Heart Attack. I mean, a bag of Hot Fries. My body has become more and more ruined over the years and there's no denying that fact either! This tupperware full of raspberries inspired me to make sure we have a garden next year. We're not sure where we'll be living then, but at the very least we can manage a small windowsill herb garden and some hanging tomato plants. Jake and I would both LOVE to have a gazillion fruit trees and a bagillion acres of vegetables but we have faced the reality that we've been bitten by the travel bug and for the time being we can only take on projects that aren't too time sensitive. But I see lots of berries in our future, wherever we may be. Blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, whateverberries, there's just something so wonderful about berries that can't be replicated in anything else. Grannie Annie's berries were killer!... In the complete opposite sense of how Hot Fries are killer. Thanks for the little piece of your garden Mother-Ann-Law! This was the best treat I've had in a long time.

3 comments:

Holli-Aynn Cart said...

I LOOOOOOOVE Me some berries. When I was in WA this summer, all I wanted to do all day long was pick berries. Any kind of berries. I have the same bug you do....

Shumfolks said...

Me too, berries "are the berries!" I believe that's an expression from the 30's or 40's? But, obviously, those folks had it right! We only had a couple of handfuls of raspberries (my favs) and blackberries this year but next year should the beginning of many years of yumminess...I hope! Thinking of trying grapes soon -- another big time favorite, too. The garden was fun this year -- even tried okra - NOT my fav. Still have a few cherry tomatoes and green onions to harvest. Planting next summer's onion bulbs today....also some tulip bulbs in the flower bed. Wish you were here to dig around in the dirt with me!

Sarah E Boucher said...

Maybe we have all inherited certain fabulous traits from or parents....maybe Jake will be the gardener :) I got the teaching bug, and Sam's the carpenter, Dave's the artist after mom...so maybe Jake WILL be the green thumb of the family. Grow me lots of lovely strawberries eh? I LOVE those :)