For the past few weeks Jake and I have been searching crazedlist (it's craigslist but you can search multiple states at a time) in hopes of finding a motorhome to purchase. We found what sounded like the PERFECT motorhome and after we emailed them we noticed that it was not only posted in Montana, but also Texas, California, Illinois, Virginia, Florida, etc. When they emailed us back they "all of a sudden had moved from where they said they were originally located because they got a new job in L.A. but now they were selling the motorhome through eBay and yada yada yada. It was a scam! This past week I found a different motorhome that seemed too good to be true and when they contacted me guess what-- same story! They got a new job in L.A. and moved but now they were selling through eBay-- exact same story, cut and pasted into another email. Ca-razy. These people were getting on my nerves, not because they were trying to scam me but because they were wasting my time! I just want to find a good (oh ya and real) motorhome. I hope nobody else falls for their scam, especially old people who are not very eBay savvy and who are always looking for motorhomes. Haha, I guess this means Jake and I must be old if we just spend our days looking for motorhomes. Anyway, that's just one scam story, here's a second that happened in the same week!
I went to Wal-Mart yesterday, ugh. I always hate admitting that I support Wal-Mart with my money but that's another story for another day. As I was returning to my car (empty handed hooray) a couple, late twenties in an old red pick up truck parked near my car waved me over. They told me a sobby story about how they were trying to get back home to Logan but their engine kept flooding and something or other blah blah blah. They were just $12 short of the car piece they needed and the guy said he'd be able to change it himself and then they could get back home. The Auto Parts store simply wouldn't let them slide on the $12 so they needed some help. The girl also mentioned that her mom told her, "There are some nice people in this area maybe you could just ask around for some help." I thought to myself, ya there are nice people in this town and you're trying to take advantage of one right now. I immediately put my guard up and told them that I never carry cash anymore, just plastic in my wallet so I couldn't hand over twelve dollars. I wished them luck and got in my car when I thought to myself that this could be my opportunity this week to pay it forward. It's true that the truck hadn't been parked there when I went into the store, but I had also noticed a couple of sleeping bags and some rubbermaid bins in the bed of their truck so maybe their story had a little bit of truth to it. I pulled my car up next to theirs and asked if their car was running at all. They said yes and so I offered to follow them to the Auto Zone store where they could get their car part and I'd pay the extra $12 with my card. Then they said that the only Auto Zone who had the right part was in Lehi (another 20 minutes up the Interstate). I kind of squished up my face like I didn't want to do that but then I decided that would be fine. I had extra time and I was determined to help these people so I smiled and told them I could follow them to Lehi. The guy leaned away from me to talk to the girl in the passenger seat and hesitated a little bit when he turned back to me and asked again if I would really do that. I nodded happily and said sure and then pulled my car over for them to pass in front of me so I could follow. They took their time backing out and then pulled up and stopped next to me. The girl in the passenger seat leaned out and was definitely pretending to talk on her phone when she told me, "Oh my mom just called and she's sending somebody." They no longer needed my help.
Really? Really people? I was being VERY nice and you just wanted to SCAM twelve dollars out of me. Well sorry, but I'm not buying your crack for you this week.
7 comments:
The key here is Cody that YOU did the right thing when the *begger put forth his hand*. Feel grateful for what you have and leave the rest up to the Lord. Yeah... and continue to protect yourself from the scammers.
Cody, I am so glad that you and Jake have kind hearts and are concerned for people around you. I think you were wise the way you handled the WalMart parking lot people.
I'm glad you will help.
I'm glad you are wise with cheaters.
You are amazing!
ooh I don't like scammers either! When we were looking for a house to rent I kept coming across the same worded posting with different pictures...and it was always a really good deal. Every time I e-mailed them they they sent this lame long e-mail explaining why they wouldn't talk to us about it until we did a background check from a special website. And it was the same e-mail and dumb story every time. people are dumb. I like how you reacted in the truck story though. You totally caught them in the act! I bet you still got blessings for it. That would have been awesome if you called them out on it. haha
have you seen Date Night? "We're not going to hurt you" haha, your scam story makes me think of that.
People are just plain lame! I'm glad you didn't end up loosing any money.
honey, you are no longer allowed to be so nice. They are unfortunatly druggies, looking for money to buy drugs. every time, that's all it is. I promise, I know. my brother in law is a herione addict, and this is what he does. just kindly say sorry and no, and move on. on, and always ALWAYS report those folks on craigs list to the craigs list authorites, so they can catch those folks.
live and learn my dear! we live in a yucky world, even here in Utah.
I remember when we went out for Chinese in SLC, and you saved some of your dinner for the homeless guy sitting on the curb out front. That won't change, and I love you for it. And, as always, be careful, very careful.
In other words, DON'T MESS WITH CODY! She may seem all sweet and nice, but HEY BUCKO! She's a tough cookie! (I don't even stop for those guys who want cash. After all, I have to come home alone!)
Post a Comment