Friday, February 26, 2010

Rockin the Subi

First... a shout out to the Geo Metro! Those 3 cylinders get me to Salt Lake everyday, so I'm thankful for that-- but there is more! Jake and I were curious about the gas mileage we've been getting on that car. I told him that I remembered trying to figure it out about seven years ago and I also remember being astonished that it was somewhere close to 38 or 40 miles per gallon. He thought that sounded a little too good, so we began calculating. On one tank of gas I am able to drive to and from Salt Lake four times and also run errands around town. Three different times we started with a full tank and did the math. Any guesses as to what we're getting??? 48.46 mpg!!!! It's true. Our 1994, 2-door toy car is passing up those brand new hybrids by miles and miles! Who would have thunk it? The Geo Metro keeps amazing us and we're holding on to her until she's decided she has had enough. Yes, I decided Marta was a "she" a long time ago.

On a more sour note... you may have heard that our Chevy Cavalier quit on us. Forever this time :( So we've been looking for a new, used car. We didn't know exactly what we wanted, especially with how much money we weren't willing to spend! Plus, Jake's dream car is far from my idea of a dream car. I've always wanted a 60's International Scout, bright paint and a little lifted. And Jake always talks about getting something in the realm of a 60's Volkswagen something or other that has a kitchen or a bed in it. So at least we agree on the 60's!

Considering our needs at the moment, I think we ended up with something great. We like hitting the road, and we like roughing it a little so we kinda picked out something we can pull over and sleep in, and something that maybe our future dog will be comfortable in. It's also a '94 so I'm hoping it gives us the same kind of love that Marta has shown.


Behold the Subaru Loyale!
A wagon big enough to fit
the upright bass and a drum
set in the back-- or so we
found out last night!
Hmm, was this Jake's
plan all along???

5 comments:

Russ said...

It was definitely jake's plan all along. and is "it" a he or a she?

ps. we should play real life rockband tmw and record a slammin' record.

mike g said...

Reminds me of Jake's Maxima or whatever that thing was. Hopefully more reliable.

Shumfolks said...

Very cute and hooray for the Mighty Geo. They don't make them any more.......hmmm.....great gas mileage.....hmmmm -- conspiracy theory?......hmmmmmmmm. I can't believe how that car has served our family...it just keeps on giving! Anyway, cute new car - red to match your hair or Jake's beard? Did I say red?....or maybe orange? Now I understand....Cody has always liked the color orange...lucky Jake!

Kathleen said...

Yay for your Geo Metro! I bought its cousin, a 4-cylinder '91 Ford Festiva, which, as legend has it, gets around 40 mpg. I haven't calculated it yet, but I have what I need to figure the gas mileage out. I might just go check that today now that I've read your post.

Matt said...

I'm in the market for a Subi too! Nothing but lesbian cars for me now that i'm in flagstaff. let me know how s/he rides.