Thursday, April 16, 2009

Free Firewood

After a lovely 66 degree summer day on Monday, we woke up to six inches of snow this morning. WHATEVER! The saddest part.... I was awake at 2:30, yes a.m., when there arose such a ruckus. The biggest ruckus I've ever heard on the roof of a house. Probably louder than 9 reindeer! It made me jump right off the couch. In that very next moment I saw the motion detector light turn on outside. Somewhat terrified, I peeked my eye through the crack in the curtain to look out the window. That darned six inches of snow came so suddenly that the 800 year old tree in front of our house finally gave in to the Utah winter madness. The tree broke in half, fell on top of the house then rolled off into the yard. This broken tree broke my heart.

I went outside to get a better look and while I was standing there I heard another huge crack. I screamed and bolted for the front door. Yes, another branch came down! Afterward I laughed at myself. If somebody had seen me in my jammies, screaming and running while trees were falling in our front yard, they would have laughed too.





And THEN, while driving to work I saw multiple trees that had suffered the consequences of an April snow day. They didn't have just broken branches, they were completely split down the middle, like a lightning bolt had dissected them right in half!

There are still branches caught, dangling up in the tree, waiting to fall to their death. Morbid!










So, so, so sad. I hope Mr. & Mrs. Boucher will spend next winter on the beach!












These are the survivors.

4 comments:

Joanie said...

Cody, Scare, scare! But why were you on the couch at 2:30 am? Fall asleep in front of the TV?
I hope you get your wish of beaches!
{{Hugs}}
Aunt Joanie

Angela* said...

well at least the tulips look happy...
all these years I thought I was doing the enviroment good by tossing my banana peels out the window... guess not. I think it just might be worth it to also buy organic bananas. Thanx for the info!! :)

Julianna and Mark Weeks and Family said...

and amist all the chaos you were able to find the special things in life. like blooming flowers.

Mom and Dad said...

What a way to wake up, Cody! No fun at all!
I'm glad you love the trees, Cody. It is sad to see them damaged, although the damage has probably been going on a long time.
Love you, kiddo! Ann