Monday, January 26, 2009

I wasn't imagining it.

During the month of December it seemed like all of these older men with snow white hair and beards were showing up all around town. I thought, "hmm, maybe it's all in my head because Christmas is around the corner." I wouldn't have thought it was so weird but anytime I interacted with these gentlemen, I felt like they were taking an extra hard look into my eyes, burrowing into my soul. I would look right back at them and in my head I would say the words, "yes, I've been a good girl this year." ...thinking they could read my mind or something. This was happening almost every day, multiple times a day. Really, are there that many old guys out there with cherry noses and jelly bellies?

The answer is NO! I thought it was all in my head for the month of December, but it wasn't. I've given it one full month since Christmas and I haven't come across one, not one old man with a flowing white beard and piercing eyes. They really DO show up out of the wood works for a holiday that comes once a year. Do they shave their face right after New Years or do they just stay indoors until next year? I don't know where they come from or where they go. But I do know this-- I kept track, and I wasn't imagining it. Santa shows up about the same time of year where you start reflecting on your accomplishments, or shortcommings.

Just imagine if these old, kind faced men were to strut around town all year long? Maybe I'd get a lot more done before December 31st.

3 comments:

Sarah E Boucher said...

However, if you are a kid, you see Santa all year long. Seriously, a kid will see some old guy with a white beard driving a minivan in JUNE and screech out with delight, "SANTA!!!" Maybe you are just too grown up, now. (Just kidding...you guys will NEVER grow up!)

Mom and Dad said...

Cody, I can just picture you staring a Little Old Elf down and sending telepathic messages to him! Maybe you convinced them so well, they ARE staying home for January . . . At least not shopping at Sunflower's (for jet skis -- I still am not over that one!) Love ya, kiddo.

Emily Vickery said...

Makone- I don't think Santa bothers with me because he sees my two screaming kids and is like YOWZA- I'm not getting in that girls face! How are you? My cell phone has changed and I don't have your number and I need to talk to you! Will you email me @ emilyvickery@gmail.com? I may be dead in the morning for putting my email address on here, but it would be worth it to hear from you! love you, ems