We stopped in San Antonio on our way back through Texas. It was lovely and I think I could live here. So far, I'm impressed with every city we have visited in this enormous state. The Alamo was.... just like this picture. That's about it. Much of the original structure has been torn down and developed, so it wasn't as grandiose as we expected. The river walk was serene with some interesting features by local artists like the mushroom bus stop in the picture below. We also witnessed the boat lock in action. It was pretty impressive.
BTW, if you go to downtown San Antonio you'll find parking lots where you can pay $8 to park your car for a few hours. We found street parking just a block away that was $0.25 an hour. We visited some museums and a few of the old missions. The Missions are beautiful but after you've seen one, you've kinda seen 'em all. Still, they're cool and I appreciated the history lessons. We walked around the mission gardens and Jake got a little weird in these pictures.
These were our awesome hosts who Jake inevitably ended up playing music with all night long. This couple also gives bike tours of San Antonio on those big recumbent adult trikes. They excitedly invited us to join them on a scheduled tour one afternoon. Jake and I rode the tandem trike which was a blast but my camera batteries died after the first picture. So-- here's the back of Jake's head! It was a lot of fun. We wore headsets and our tour guide (couchsurfing host) took us on the best routes that showed off San Antonio. A bike is definitely the best way to see a city, and the trikes were super easy to maneuver and just made us smile a lot.
The biggest treat we received was just 20 minutes outside of the city. Jake and I had taken a drive to go see some natural caves and we noticed a group of people gathered around a bunch of dirt. It was hillbilly heaven and I'm glad we stumbled onto it. We laughed about this for days.
Picture #1. Twenty grown men racing remote control cars. Very, very serious business.

Picture #2. The racers trying to get "air" over some of the jumps.
















3 comments:
I am really enjoying your travelogue. That is a pretty cool mushroom you're sitting under. San Antonio looks like a beautiful city.
I'm positive San Antonio would love to have you more than SC :)!
I've always told Brent that I'm afraid if I ever visit San Antonio, I'll want to stay. :-)
LOVE the remote control car track pics. I remember you telling us about them. You described it in perfect detail. My mental image was the same as the pics.
Post a Comment