Wednesday, October 20, 2010

I'm a Pepper

About 15 years ago I had a shirt similar to this. It was white with red lettering and also way too big for me but I loved wearing it. It was really old, really worn out and so thin that it was pretty much see-through. It was also really soft and super comfortable. For some reason I want to say that it originally belonged to my Grandfather (it was probably just my mom or dad's shirt). But the reason I loved the shirt so much was because I thought I was wearing something of my Grandfather's. I didn't get to spend a lot of time with him in this earth life, but everything I remember about him remains a good memory. He had white hair, a big belly, tattoos, a deep voice and a kind heart.  I was just a little kid but I knew he loved me.  He was a perfect Grandfather.

A few years ago a friend of mine and my brother's noticed something similar about her two Shumway friends. She said that we hold a lot of meaning in certain personal items, which everybody does but we make it all seem more important. I thought about this for a while and realized it's very true. I don't have a lot of extra junk laying around, and most of the possessions that follow me from house to house, year to year, hold a special meaning to me. After thinking about my reasoning for a long time I came up with two conclusions to why I give importance to physical objects. I definitely take good care of everything I own and I keep it for a long time, until it is broken and unfixable. Maybe that's because my parents taught me the value of a dollar and having something to call my own was a privilege. Or perhaps it's because my family moved around so much while I was growing up that I associate memories with physical items. Since I haven't grown up with the same friends and the same town my whole life I take a little piece of them with me when I leave. Or maybe there's another reason.  What do you think?

The other day Jake made a really cool gift for one of his friends. He held it up and said, "This is awesome, I want to keep it." I think those are the best kind of gifts to give and receive, ones with feeling behind them. I remember visiting a friend a long time ago and telling her how beautiful I thought one her table lamps looked. She said, "You really like it that much? It's yours!" I've enjoyed that lamp for over ten years now. I don't need gifts from people and I don't need them to have some crazy creative idea to impress me. I just figure that if I'm going to have "stuff," it may as well have special memories of friends and family connected to it. Even when I haven't corresponded with good friends for long periods of time, it's nice to think that there's a little piece of them hanging out around me. Does that sound too serial killer-ish? This really turned into a million tangents. What I'm trying to say is, I feel lucky to have so many wonderful people in my life and anything that reminds me of them is worth keeping around.

7 comments:

ThE CrAZy GaTEs! said...

Hoarder.. JUST KIDDING! I need to give you something of mine, so you won't foget me either. I love what you do. you are such a sweet Gal! We'll keep ya!

Nathan said...

those sentimental items also make good horcruxes.

Shumfolks said...

You are right on all accounts. That's why my house will never be anything but eclectic -- full of memories of people and places that have touched our lives -- wouldn't have it any other way. For example, yesterday a friend gave me a purple and red cactus tile wall hanging -- not exactly "my flavor" as Jade would say, but guess what?, it's hanging in my kitchen and now I have a little piece of her heart with me every day even though she's moved to another town. I keep thinking I need to document the stories behind every article so that the memories won't be lost. I can point to almost every "thing" in my house and tell you who gave it to us and why it's a "treasure." Yep, you get it from me, and I got it from your Grandfather -- it's not a curse, but you definitely end up with a lot of unique stuff! I smile every time I think of the giver, and I'm sad that eventually some things get old and have to go. This is getting too philosophical! By the way, that T-shirt WAS your Grandfather's, and your sentimental comments just filled my heart with happy memories. I'll send you another one of his T-shirts to snuggle in. Yep, I have a few in my closet :).

Suz said...

I knew I was missing things when I lived with you, now I know why! ;)

Paul and Ruthie Keep said...

this was a really good blog i frel liek ur in a thoughtful mood i love thoughtful moods.. that interesting though how u do that .. i wanna talk and hang out like everyday this wkend

Cody said...

Mom- thanks for your thoughts and your weird genetic traits that you passed on.
Suz- that would've been Emily. Haha!

Suz said...

no she would just put them back on the hanger stinky and dirty! Speaking of, do you talk to her our Erin? How are they? I want to be invited to Erin's blog can you help me with that?