After my sis-in-law sent out an invitation to run the Wasatch Woman 5k with her, I decided to get off the couch and start training. It's been a while since I've exercised, so it has taken some real mental preparation and motivation to get me started but I've really been trying. Last week I hit the 2.75 mile mark! So today I was supposed to run 3 full miles. Yesterday I was driving around and decided to clock the distance between our house and Harmon's Grocery store. For some reason I read the mileage counter as 1.6 miles. This meant that it was the perfect 5k distance (3.2 miles) from my house to Harmon's and back-- an easy mile marker to remember.
I've been running everyday on a track so today I stepped out of my comfort zone and ran the Boucher-Harmon trail. Well jogged anyway. I've been timing myself and I'm around an 11 minute mile. Today when I ran I timed myself and it took me 54 minutes!!!! How could this be? I didn't feel like I was dragging my feet, so I just figured I must be slower in the wild than when I'm on a track.
After a few hours passed I decided I didn't like that conclusion. 54 minutes? That just seemed way too long. So I got back in the car and clocked the miles again. I don't know how I came up with 1.6 miles the first time around.... it's been a while since I've taken a math class. Anyhow, this time the car meter read 2.5 miles! WHAT? I ran 5 miles today and didn't even know it!
I guess this means I'm ready for the 5k!
4 comments:
So glad you are running with Jen! And now I wish I hadn't punked out so we could all be together...not that I can run that long anyway, but it would have been fun. Good luck little sis!!
How fun! Amazing how strong your body really is!! Good for you, Cody. Glad you girls are supporting each other.
Love ya!!
I guess! Good for you!
well, I do hear that when running on rough turf (on the side of the road) as opposed to running on the road you have to have better balance and have to pick your feet up. And beware of pot-holes. but good job on the trainning. I wish I had that motivation, I also have a kid that I use as an excuse. HE HE HE HA HA HA!
Post a Comment