Tuesday, November 6, 2007

MONKS and MT. SORAK

We paid 20,000 won and rode a bus four hours to get to the east coast of South Korea, to a city called Sokcho. It was absolutely beautiful and it was sooo nice to get out of the city. I think deep down in our hearts Jake and I are kinda country folk. Kinda.



We hiked up this mountain where only monks used to come and worship and do their thing. Now it's a tourist attraction, so we took pictures. The hike ended up being pretty long, but it was one of the prettiest views imaginable .... too bad the camera batteries were dead for that picture!

Some friends had come with us so after replacing our shoes and lighting a candle we made our way over to the Korea Motel Hotel that was so nicely cozied right up next to the base of the mountain.




















They looked very deep in conversation, drawing in the dirt and stuff. What they don't know is that I peeked into one of their little house things and saw a nice big couch in front of a huge flatscreen, with a computer and fax machine on the desk in the corner. Later on that day I saw one of them taking a break from all of the tourists-- sitting in his jeep parked so secretly behind a tree and eating a sandwich. Maybe I just don't understand the life of a monk....
Their clothes look really comfy though.

2 comments:

janet said...

what the beard? and so funny about the monks partying with their flat screen and laptops. I guess a vow of silence isn't so hard anymore? Love you and miss you guys!

melissamay said...

Wow, Cody these pictures are so pretty. Sure does beat the scenery from utah.